Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Home Again!

(Leaving Rehab)

Tonight is Discharge Eve.  In many ways it’s like Christmas Eve.  The anticipation, the huge buildup, the excitement.  And, I have a feeling that in many ways the day after Discharge will be a lot like the day after Christmas. . . kind of a letdown.  All David can focus on right now is D-Day, and even though all of his therapists have continually reiterated that there are many things that will be different for a while, his mind is so focused on the big day that I fear there will be many a letdown once we are home.  

He has made huge strides of progress here in the Rehab facility.  Physically he can do most everything he could do before the accident, although his strength is greatly diminished from the weeks lying in bed.  I have no doubt his body will recondition itself with ease, though it may take longer than usual since lots of energy is being used to heal his broken parts.

His speech continues to improve.  He recognizes when the words he says don’t sound right, and he will slow down and ask for help to say what he wants to say.  He understands everything people around him are saying, and the words and sentences in his head are intact, but the signals translating the words in his head to the words he speaks are still getting mixed up.  This is going to be hard for him out in the “real world” where people might make assumptions about his intelligence based on his speech.  

His memory and cognition also continue to improve, but more slowly than his speech.  He can find his way back to his room about 50% of the time now.  He knows the day, month and year most of the time.  He knows where we are and why we are here (although he is still incredulous that he could have fallen out of that tree. . . we all still are).  His short-term memory is weak still, but improving.  His right eye still remains closed, although there is more muscle movement of the actual eye than there has been.  The plastic surgeon is still hopeful that his eye may fully recover.

(( The above post was written last night (12/15), below was written tonight (12/16). ))

Well, today was the big day.  We got out of bed early and packed up.  David scarfed his breakfast down and we scooted out of there.  He was so happy.  So was I, but it was mixed with a whole lot of apprehension.

The rest of the day today went great, really.  We got home, got unpacked, shed some happy tears, took naps.  We went to the beach with my sister, who has been here acting as surrogate mom for our kids for the last 10 days.  David is very worried about our kids all the time, that they are safe and not doing things that could get them hurt, to the point where he seems a little paranoid.

The naps are really hard for David.  He needs them, of course, but every time he wakes up from one he is very disoriented and thinks that he has been asleep all night and it’s the morning of a new day.  He also has trouble orienting to the time throughout the day, and usually thinks it’s much later than it is.  His emotions are amplified and his tears come very easily and quickly.  In some ways it’s nice to see his feelings on the surface. . . he usually keeps them pretty deep.  On the other hand, it’s kind of disconcerting to see him become upset and emotional so quickly, and to see his confidence so shaken.  I have hope that’s one of the things that will come back in time.  It’s something that makes him. . . him.


My sister left for the airport tonight.  So we are just us again, for the first time in 4 and a half weeks.  The task of keeping us all together, of being in charge of everything to do with both the kids’ and David’s well-being is daunting and frightening and exhausting.  I don’t know if I can do it.  I have to do it.  I hope I can do it.
(Final Meal at Rehab)


(Coming in the front door)


(At the beach with the kids)

8 comments:

  1. Still a bit of journey to go. But how far he, and you have come. Hoping for a very uneventful, yet quick, quiet, and smooth, continuation in recovery.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about you all day on Wednesday and hoping everything went smoothly. You are stronger and braver then you realize. We're all still praying just as often that the help and strength you need to get you through this is ever present.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been following this blog since I first heard about David's injury. (Actually I read the first entry before I knew who it was). I haven't commented yet, basically because it's not really something I do, but I just wanted to say how impressed I am with your faith and strength, and the miraculous recovery David has made. I felt strongly from the beginning that David would recover completely with minimal if any long term effects and I am overjoyed to see that will be a reality. Be assured you and your family will continue to be in my wife and my prayers. David and I are very similar, both being kind of quiet and we both use our hands to make a living so this incident had a profound impact on me. Love from my family to yours and I look forward to seeing more good reports on David's recovery.
    Phil Odell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good news Jeanne. My family and I continue to pray for his quick and full recovery. God bless you all during this time. His progress so far has been remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remember to ask for help, we all want to but don't want to overwhelm Dave. If you need a Dave sitter so you can have time for yourself, we'll do it, you don't have to do this part alone either, love you, Alicen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenne, I'm a fellow Laie mom. :) We are pulling for you! Four years ago I gave birth to a daughter with special needs. We were students away from both our families, and I was so overwhelmed. I'm on your Facebook support page and am willing to help with the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You're all home now! Welcome home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so so grateful for the outcome so far and so much could have NOT been all of these beautiful blessings. Congrats on your growing tummy and take care to nap and rest as needed. You are all in our prayers for my family around the world.

    ReplyDelete