Thursday, November 19, 2015

Banana Banana Cake

I savor the last bite of cake and lick the last of the sweet frosting off the tips of my fingers slowly with tears wet on my cheeks and pain in my heart.  I close my eyes and remember Saturday, sending David and the kids ahead to Grandma’s house while I stayed behind to put together J’s birthday cake.  He turned two a couple of weeks ago and we were getting around to his birthday party BBQ.  David and the kids made the cake the day before while I went to an exercise class.  It was “Banana Banana Cake,” his new favorite recipe, except he had forgotten to add the walnuts.  He made sure to remind me on his way out the door to add them to the frosting instead.  He is so good about taking the kids away when I need just a few minutes’ peace to restore my patience with them.  I put the cake together and headed to the party.  We had a great time and even made it home at a decent hour to get the kids to bed.  

Then Sunday came.  David got up with the kids at the crack of dawn, he always does.  I adjusted my pillows around my big belly and drifted in and out of semi-sleep, listening to them getting breakfast and watching cartoons.  He came back into the bedroom and asked me if I was ever getting up and I pulled him onto the bed to snuggle.  I scratched his head and rubbed his back, in perfect contentment until the kids started fighting and he got up to go referee the situation.

I rolled out of bed slowly, reluctant to leave my nest.  I always make the bed first thing after getting up to lessen the likelihood that I will crawl back in it instead of getting ready for the day.  I joined everyone in the kitchen to get some breakfast.  David, of course, was already itching to get out of the house and do something before church.  He suggested avocado picking in Pupukea.  It sounded good to me and we got ready to go, too slowly for him.

We didn’t talk much on the drive, it was a beautiful day and we are good at companionable silence.  I knew from the look on his face he was thinking about his next business move with our house that he was trying to sell, those wheels are always turning.  I reached out and rubbed his shoulder and smiled at him.  The air in Pupukea is always a little cooler and fresher and it felt nice driving to the trailhead.  We parked and he was surprised to notice that the tree by the road was ripe already, and all the lower-hanging fruit had been picked.  He decided to climb that one and pick a few, and then we would walk up the trail and check the other tree that he had initially intended to pick from.

Up he went with strong easy movements, gripping with his hands and feet, to the first branch where he asked me to hand up the picking pole.  I did and then herded the kids a little way off to climb on a fence while David picked.  I was always worried that a falling avocado would hit one of them.  I was feeling happy, the kids were happy playing and everything just felt. . . .good.  From time to time I would hear a branch crack as David would kick some dead wood down, or clear off a stray vine.  It always made me turn my head to see what was going on, but wasn’t alarming.

It must have been the sound of a branch cracking that made me turn my head to see the very last millisecond of his falling body out of the corner of my eye.  I don’t have a clear visual memory of it and I don’t try to search too hard for the details of it in my mind.  But the sound of it.  I am praying to forget it.  It comes back to me in my moments of panic and makes me sick.  The sound of a hard avocado hitting the ground and splitting into pieces.  Except it didn’t make sense, because it wasn’t an avocado, it was him.  I swore and ran to him, Z screaming “Daddy!” behind me on the fence.

He was laying on his left side and I fell to my knees beside him, calling his name.  My heart stopped as I saw the blood pouring out of his right ear and I knew.  I knew it was his head.  I grabbed my phone out and punched in 911 as fast as possible, the panic mounting.  The operator answered and I started yelling into the phone that my husband had fallen from a tree, is unconscious and hurt and please please send an ambulance.  It didn’t make sense at the time but the operator did not respond to me but hung up instead.  I dropped my phone between my knees and screamed his name, trying for any response.  He started breathing, ragged, labored breaths, red foamy blood coming from his nose and mouth.  His eyes never opened.

I became aware of others around me, from the nearby Boy Scout camp.  One of them was telling me they had my kids, one was calling 911, others were finding and putting pressure on his wounds.  He started fighting them off, eyes closed and swelling fast.  He tried to push up off the ground, tried to get up.  I held my arms under his head while he rolled and fought and struggled to breathe, to cushion him from the hard asphalt.

The firefighters arrived and tried to strap him to a board.  He fought.  They got him restrained awkwardly and we waited for the ambulance.  Minutes, hours, years, who knows.  Finally the sound of sirens coming and they took him away from me.  I was asked to give information.  I felt clear and was able to answer, though the panic seethed just below the surface of necessary lucidity.  They packed him into the ambulance and I was sick that I couldn’t ride with him. . . . my kids.

They were brought to me as the ambulance drove off.  I decided to allow a kind lady from the camp to drive us in my van to the hospital.  My heart yearned to fly to him, it didn’t matter how fast we were going, it was too slow.

That night passed in sleeplessness and numbness.  I went home the next morning to my empty house to shower and collect some things for that day.  My breath caught in my chest as I saw his slippers outside our front door.  His tile saw on our porch.  His keys on our counter.  His dirty clothes on our floor.  I tried to shut it out and focus on the task at hand.  Packing food, I opened the fridge and there was the leftover cake.  And the world swirled around me and I broke inside.  I cut a piece to take with me back to the hospital.  I eat it outside on a bench and feel the sweetness of what our life has been fading away, savoring it as I savor the last crumbs of Banana Banana Cake.  Knowing there is nothing I can do to keep it, to save it.  


My heart grieves and aches.  And I know from here everything will be different.  And hard.  But somewhere deep in the smothering unknown, I can feel a tiny speck of something.  Something good.  Maybe different will be ok.  Maybe different can even be good.

28 comments:

  1. Jenne,
    You have always amazed me. Since the day I met you and your sweet family I have admired the love you and David share. You compliment each other so perfectly. I am so proud of your strength, your faith and your ability to even type this beautiful post. I love you my friend. Thank you for sharing your heart with us. I can't imagine how hard writing this must be. Know that we all appreciate it and we are here to help you find the new normal and the speck of good that is going to blossom to a giant new goodness. David is like non other. His strength and your love will pull him through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenne, I can't stop crying as I read this. Your faith is amazing. We pray for you and your sweet family everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenne- you are such an amazing woman, filled with thoughtfulness, strength, adventure and kindness. And David is your perfect companion. We just love the both of you so much and your darling kids. I can't tell you how sad I am that this has happened. Your descriptive writing made it all come alive, and my heart aches for you. We are here for you always for anything at all. David is the toughest person I know (besides you), and I pray he heals quickly. Love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenne, we love you and your sweet family. You and David are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you so much for sharing your feelings so beautifully. We're with you for the long haul and ready to help however we can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OXOXOXOX.
    I'm so sorry to read this.
    Wishing we were still there, so I could watch the kids for you.
    Carol Orme

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are very sorry this happened to you guys! Thank you for sharing what's happening in ur life beautifully. We pray for ur family everyday. I hope he gets better soon and life goes back to normal for you guys. I learned something from this beautiful story thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenne,
    I hope David is recovering fast and that you and your kids are doing well. My name is Jim Campbell, Assistant Scoutmaster of Troop 316 in Ewa Beach. Myself and Russ were the two Boy Scout leaders who helped David with his wounds immediately after the incident. From our Troop, our hearts and prayers go out to you and your family during this difficult time. Please don't hesitate to ask for anything.

    Warmest Regards,
    Jim Campbell

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are very sorry this happened to you guys! Thank you for sharing what's happening in ur life beautifully. We pray for ur family everyday. I hope he gets better soon and life goes back to normal for you guys. I learned something from this beautiful story thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jenne I always treasure the short time we hang out with you, Dave and Z. It wasn't a lot but it was memorable. Dave, you and the kids are in our prayers daily. We love you Jenne.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jenne, I'm Megan Brown's mom. I met you in July. I'm so heartbroken about this accident. You and Dave's names are on the prayer rolls of the four temples here in the Salt Lake Valley. You are in our every thought and prayer. I wish there was more that I could do. Your strength inspires me. I know there are angels round about your sweet little family and I know the Lord's plan will play out on your behalf. Please know we love you and are pleading with the Lord for you all. Continue to cling to faith and hope. Teresa Prater

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dearest Jenne. My heart aches but lifted a bit by reading your beautiful words and love.Thank you so much for allowing me to share a few precious moments with you and Dave. Dave has always been an inspiration to me that could only be matched by you. My continued love and prayers for your beautiful family. Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jenne, we are keeping all of you in our prayers. This is a beautiful piece about this difficult transition.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for pectin us help we did all we could to help I am from troop 316 and you are so strong just stay this way your whole family is in our prayers and I speak on behave of all of troop316

    ReplyDelete
  14. A mutual friend shared your post on Facebook today, and I felt that I should let you know that few things have rocked my heart the way this post did.
    You have a powerful and very beautiful way with words.
    I pray that God blesses your family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Praying. Hard. Tearing up though I have only just meet you maybe once.
    Miracles happen. I have seen so many. I am doing what I can to put my faith in God to work in your behalf.
    Sending love and light, sister. May God carry you through this and fan that undying spark of hope that says, yes, life will be good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Praying. Hard. Tearing up though I have only just meet you maybe once.
    Miracles happen. I have seen so many. I am doing what I can to put my faith in God to work in your behalf.
    Sending love and light, sister. May God carry you through this and fan that undying spark of hope that says, yes, life will be good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my, I've sat here for many long minutes, not knowing what to say but feeling the need to say something, about these moments that connect time, eternity, love, family, community, and God. Thank you for letting us cry, pray, and deeply hope with you for that something new, different, and good. Our prayers and thoughts for y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jenne,
    You don't know me, but we live in the community and are praying for you! I am so inspired by your courage and perspective. And no matter what, you are not alone.
    ~Linda Reece

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jenne. Thank you for sharing with us these moments. You are such a good writer. I don't know what to say but I love you guys and have ever since I met you. You and David... Such a perfect match, adventurous, creative, hard working. Lots of love. Lots of prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Let me please try to say how indescribably grateful I am for the astonishing outpouring of love and prayer for our family. I have literally felt the power and the energy surrounding me, binding me up and soothing my broken soul. I know David feels it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. We pray that something great will come out of this for you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  23. You don't know me. I knew David when my BFF Sarah and I came and spent 2 weeks with him in 2005. What a special guy. He is so strong. I will be praying for all of you. Keep writing ... this is beautiful and I hope some healing comes to your soul through it. Sending love from Florida....

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much for sharing this such faithful things to us. You are amazing, and I know for sure that lord love so much, and He will give you more blessings in the futures.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is so touching and really inspire me! Thanks for sharing this and hope all is well now with your family. God bless and love you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Aloha Jenne!!

    You don't know me, but as part of a class, we were assigned to read this blog. My heart felt the story word-for-word an has given me hopes to accept change during a pandemic like this. It is nothing in comparison to the pain your family endured, but your story is coming as a strong beacon of light and hope. Thank you.

    I hope after all these years all is well. My family loves banana cake too. Not sure if it's the same as banana banana cake, but living in a tropical country like Malaysia who wouldn't like it? Stay safe during this pandemic! Your family are in my prayers.

    -Joseph Pushnam

    ReplyDelete