Wednesday, November 25, 2015

So Many Things

David continues to improve little by slowly.  Yesterday they moved his feeding tube from his mouth to his nose, so his mouth is now completely unencumbered by wires and tubes.  They also removed his neck collar and his lung drainage tube.  Piece by piece his body is regaining and regulating its own functions.  The physical therapist came and was very optimistic about his potential to return to full functionality.  There is talk of moving him out of the ICU in the near future.

I visited with my midwife today, the same one that attended the home births of our two babies.  The plan for baby #3 to be born at home is very much in question now.  During the labors and births of the first two David was my rock and my confidence.  He was the reason I was able to fully trust in and surrender to the process.  He held that space for me and I knew I could fully enter “labor land" because he was there to watch over me, to be with me.  I feel safe when I’m with him.  And now. . . . what his condition will be when the baby comes is still such an unknown.  And I just don’t know if I can do it without him there.  I will probably have to plan for several contingencies and decide what to do when the time comes.  It’s just so hard not to know.

Yesterday the kids came to visit again, by my daughter’s request.  When David saw her. . . he smiled!!  For the first time!  And I cried, but I tried not to cry too much, because happy tears are hard to explain to a 4-year-old.  When I helped him reach his hand up towards her he tickled her arm with his finger.  The love and longing on his face was really unmistakable.  When he saw J he raised his eyebrows at him and rubbed his little hand with his fingers.

It was nice for us to just hang out in the room with him for a little while and give the kids time to look him over really well and ask some questions about him.  I don’t have the answers to all of their questions.  And I don’t know if/when/how to tell them that there may be some things about their Daddy that will never be the same.  And I worry about them.  I worry that they are having trouble processing what’s been going on, that I am compounding the issue by being absent for such long stretches of time, that their emotional needs are not being filled.

I feel the mantle of responsibility that David and I used to share resting squarely on my shoulders and mine alone.  All the decisions that must be made about all aspects of our family’s life and David’s medical care.  But along with the heaviness of it all I feel reassurance that I can be guided, that my decisions can be wise as I allow myself to be open to and rely on the inspiration that can be available to me if I seek it out.  And I feel very keenly the support and love and willingness to help that have been extended to me by family, friends, strangers, making it all bearable.  This would certainly be beyond me without all of that spiritual and physical assistance.


And, while I rejoice and wonder at the truly miraculous progress David has made, I also have had periods of panic and depression equal to or greater than those I had when he was still comatose.  The elation of seeing him awake, moving, alive gives way sometimes to new depths of fear and worry.  Visions of all the different what-ifs of our future together come pouring in through the cracks and threaten to crush me with their hopelessness.  In these bleak moments (or hours) I find it almost impossible to willfully cast out the fear, to turn away from all the potential negative outcomes and have faith in something good ahead.  And so I cry.  And I pray.  And when it’s over I refocus on all the good that is already here.  All the blessings we have already received and all the promise of what may still lie in store for us.  And I am trying to choose to believe in that, instead of despair.

5 comments:

  1. Wow...you are so strong and such an example to me of faith. Thank you for your Thanksgiving and for sharing your journey with such courage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenne,
    Hang in there. As you know, your road head is long, but it sounds like it's hopefully going to be okay in the end.
    It's normal to be frustrated. The not knowing,
    the what ifs, all the decisions you have to make, are all over whelmiing. Small children and being pregnant, I'm sure makes it so much more difficult.
    If David is still in the hospital when baby #3 arrives, you have extended family near by you to support you. No matter if you choose a home delivery, or a hospital. Your family will be there for you. Not the same, but as you know, right now nothing is the same.
    There is nothing you can do to change any of this. It is what it is. Just take one moment at a time. Continue to turn to the Lord. At times it will feel as though he's all you have to lean on. Continue to take delight as David slowly heals. All things considered, he has come along way, in a short time.
    You're so fortunate your mother is there, she sounds like an angel from heaven. Though this is hard on your kids, kids are more resilient than we think. They will be okay.
    The fact that David's family is there is a huge blessing as well. Ward members and neighbours love you, and are there to support you. Turn to them often, people want to help. I truly wish we were still there, so I could be one of the many able and willing to help.
    It's okay to vent. When we were going through, everything with our Jonathan (still are). I would go outside and scream, and throw things. It didn't, doesn't change anything, but it felt, feels, good.

    Love you all
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenne, I just wanted to express to you that you and your family are still in my thoughts and prayers every single day, several times a day. My children, although they don't know you, remember to include you all in our family prayers (which we say both morning and night). I really appreciate your posts because it helps us to understand a lot of the different nuances of the situation as well as keeping us up to date on David's progress. I also really appreciate your faith and hope, and your honestly about this difficulties of it all. Sending you love and prayers for healing and also for your increased strength as you have so much to manage right now and your feeling of being alone. Thanks for reaching out and connecting with us through your blog posts. Love you, <3 ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Emily Plicka, in case you were wondering. xoxo

      Delete
  4. Jenne you are doing such a great job handling everything that is going on. Your kids are bright and happy and they will come through this better than you can expect. You are giving them a gift of seeing the true devotion to David that most marriages don't ever need to express.
    As far as bringing a new baby into the world, if you want us, you have a huge tribe of women who believe in you. We will be there for you, surrounding you literally if you want us there. We know you can do this, however you chose will be wonderful in its own way.
    So much love to you and your sweet family.

    ReplyDelete